Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Idolatry 101

So I have to make a post about this while it's still fresh on my mind. I am currently working on a small study of Idolatry so that I can talk to the kids about it tomorrow, I'll have to tweak the message some tomorrow morning and tonight, but I just wrote this down in my notes:

"Idolatry comes in all shapes and sizes and so often we do not even realize that we have fallen into its clutches. It can make listening to God difficult and can leave us empty and disconnected."

Now, this thought process in and of itself is nothing extraordinary. In fact, anyone could tell you that this is the case for most things that get a hold of our lives; but here is the real kicker. I discovered a idol in my life that I did not think I had, or at least, I justified in my mind to the point of deception. It was something I discovered while I was making a list of idols that are the most common within the "contemporary" culture. It is the idol of acceptance and approval. This is not the approval of friends, but rather of my parents. It's been an idol in my life for a long time, and I've only now come to realize its stench.

I have come to realize that I will never be able to meet every expectation placed upon me, this is an impossible task. Why I ever thought I would be able to achieve such a thing is a mystery to me, but at least now I realize what is going on and I can adjust accordingly. I had always wondered why criticism from my parents was so hard on me, but now I realize it is because I fight for their approval and acceptance. I should have known that I was being dumb about this. I appreciate my parents, and I love them, and I will not ever stop, but at least I can take their words as a grain of sand, just as I must take all words because God's words are the ones I am most concerned with. That's all for my revelation at the moment. Time to get back to work on the lesson.

Grace and Peace

Forgive me Father, for I have place another before you, continue to give me truth and the wisdom to "fix it" as I seek after you.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find this to be interesting. Do really place too much value on your acceptance from your parents, or is your heart merely being deceived into not hearing their advice and truth.
The Bible has a lot to say about a child and how he is to respond to his parents.
Perhaps if you are seeking the wisdom of God, you should start in there.