Thursday, February 12, 2009

Division Is Death

"A Kingdom divided cannot stand."

If this is true of Satan and his minions, is it not also true for Christ and His followers?

There is a unity that needs to be maintained for a Kingdom to stand, and I believe that the Kingdom of Heaven is no different. Which leaves me the dread that Christianity, as we know it today, could very well collapse (I don't think Christianity itself will ever die because it is under Christ's authority, I merely meant collapse of the concept of Christianity in the US Culture). What I mean by that is the fact that many people have gotten to the point where they will argue with each other over some concept of God and both claim that there sides are the Truth and they even go as far as to do it without love or grace. But doing something like that is not only against God Himself because they are not loving in their discussion, but there is also an attempt to put a limit upon God who, in fact, is a limitless being.

I think that Christians as a whole (of course there are always exceptions) have lost sight of a very important truth or concept that was designed to be within the church. Without it the Church becomes perverted and corrupt; as is evidenced by the crusades, and the events surrounding the Reformation. Other less extreme examples could include the institutionalization of the "Church"; the place where we try to force worship in a 1 to 2 hour period. It's structured and rigid; it does not flow like I believe worship should do. Do not misunderstand, I am not saying that having a church building were people can come and worship as a congregation is a bad thing. It is obviously being used by God, so we must be at least doing something right; however, I think that there is something about it that is missing and I have not discovered what it is yet. I guess ultimately, I could say that the church as we know it today feels like it is more of a shadow of its original purpose.

I'm not perfect, and I will be the first to admit that I don't know everything. However, these are thoughts that have been going through my head since last night after having a good and deep conversation with a friend of mine. I know that there is always more to discover, and as long as I'm seeking Truth, then I know I will consistently find more and more about what is going wrong and what is being done right, and what is in between. The thing about faith... it should always be in flux with the values we follow. Sure some things become concrete, but I think if we ever get to the point where we are not reflecting on our beliefs and values, and we are not challenging them, then I think we are not growing further in our relationship with Christ and we become static.

On a completely separate note, I might have a job. This is much yay; thanks God!

Grace and Peace

No comments: