Saturday, September 29, 2007

What If This Was Someone You Knew?

Today was interesting.

This last week, this week, and next week are all part of the missions rally here at Crossroads Fellowship, and we did something completely new for a missions rally. It was definitely an unusual, and non-traditional setting. The group titled it Coffee and Conversations. We basically set up our sanctuary like a coffee house. I really liked it a lot. And of course there would be nothing to do with the missions rally if they didn't share what is going on around the world and stuff right? Well I didn't know what they were going to talk about, but what they did share made me cry.

They talked about the Sex Trade that so many women and girls get sold into. Thousands of women are sold into the sex trade on a daily basis. The majority of this is located in southeast Asia, but it is a very real issue in most every part of the world. I think the average day involved a woman being with around 25 men a day. They are raped, molested, abused, the list goes on and on. I cannot see how people can be so cruel to each other. There are girls, some as young as 10 years old being sold into this slave/trade enterprise, and even more heinous is that they are just as involved into the sexual acts as the women who are in their late teens and early twenties. I am horrified, and deeply saddened at the state our world is in.

Yet again, a portion of my paradigm on life has completely shifted. This is a good thing, but sometimes it has to come in painful ways. This was a semi-painful experience, because my heart bleeds for these people. No woman should have to be forced to have sexual relations with another person. Harems, brothels, street prostitution, it's all disgusting, and deeply scarring to the people who have to do it for a living. Some people say that maybe that is their only way of making ends meet. I say, there is always a better solution, and if they haven't found it, then maybe we should be that better solution.

So many men treat women like they are sex goddesses, or as a trophy to claim that they've caught. It's no wonder so many women hate men, I want to hate us too. They become an idol in the life of the men who chase after them, and women too can be found to be in idolatry when they are relying on their significant other to be their fulfillment. Why can't we run to God for fulfillment?

I don't really know where I was going with that. I need sleep, I'm tired, and need to get up semi-early tomorrow. Night folks.

No comments: