Sunday, March 23, 2008

It's Easter, is it?

The thing I find the most ironic about the easter holiday is that the we celebrate both the pagan and the "Christian" parts of it. We unknowingly, or in denial, celebrate the goddess of a fruitful womb and harvest, with our painted eggs and chocolate rabbits, but at the same time we will go to the buildings we call church and call upon the name of the Lord and worship Him, all the while standing in "awe" of the resurrection that occurred so long ago.

I guess I'm sounding cynical, but I'm not trying to be, just stating a fact that I found to be ironic and bit contradicting to our culture I'm sure. Though, I'm sure that I would not stop getting chocolate bunnies, and what not, denying to myself that I am celebrating the pagan side as well, but I think there is something much deeper here then any Christian really takes notice to. I'm not saying that we can't have chocolate bunnies, and paint eggs, and laugh at the commercials that have clucking rabbits, but just to keep in mind that there was a reason behind these things and it should be important to let our children know what that reason was, and explain to them why it isn't the correct viewpoint. I don't even have kids though, so what do I know?

I guess this is really just a few of my thoughts on the whole think... have a good Easter Sunday everyone.

No comments: